Tuesday, April 1, 2008

[NYC Confidential]

As a policy, I stick to an objective critique of my world on strictly political, social, or otherwise general and basically universally applicable terms. However, I feel that the occasion necessitates breaking from tradition, if only for a day. I'll keep it short- my life isn't mighty interesting as far as blog fare goes.


Over spring break I lost my wallet in New York. Left it in the back of a cab. I dropped a quarter, getting out of the cab, and in bending to pick it up, my wallet fell out of my pocket; I didn't even notice. Ironic, nay, prophetic. I just saw No Country for Old Men, the quarter seemed to have a lot of import. I kept it, separated of course, from my other change. But back to the wallet. Normally, I wouldn't give much thought to it, but I figured since it had my license and credit cards, it would be worth a call to the taxi cab company. So I called, filed my report, and, not expecting much, resigned myself to getting a new license and freezing my cards. And then today happened. I came home from something around 6ish. I checked my email, checked my facebook, read the paper, then turned to the daily heap of college mail: There's a place for everyone at Goucher! Get your Associates Degree in 2 years or less at Boris! Beneath the usual static, there was an unwieldy, first class envelope. Perhaps it was its lack of a viable return address, or maybe the workingman's scrawl across the front, but something felt both unsettling and earnest about this purported piece of college mail. The weight was poorly distributed, with a pliable, iPod-shaped bulge on the right side. I slit it open and out fell another envelope, this one wrapped around the bulge. I really wasn't even expecting my wallet, so I wasn't totally enthused when it fell out. I was just like, "Oh, cool. Awesome, I guess." The end.

No comments: